Thursday, March 5, 2009

Think Globally, Dine Locally.

A tea room in Idaho?  Wait, a team room in Meridian, Idaho?  Pour me a cup!  Receiving an email from my mother asking if my stomach was growling for lunch, I quickly thought, "O great, I can't wait to devour an over-priced, not fully-cooked, imitation meal courtesy of Chili's." (No-offense to the red pepper regulars).  Instead, of trailing behind 30 1-hour, lunch-break workers to Applebee's, possibly Olive Garden, and wait did I hear Fuddrucker's, I promptly Googled "Local restaurants in Meridian, Idaho." Period.  Life wouldn't be life without Google.  

Moving on, my search displayed 124, 000 posts, and one of thousands shimmered above the rest.  > www.local.com.  <  Easy-breezy, but what startled me after dwindling down my search, was the multiple listings of Taco Bell, McDonald's, and of course, Chili's.  Apparently, "local" in my book differs from local in the local's book.  

Moral of this post, I found a hidden gem.  If I could recommend any visitor, mother-daughter date, or Idaho native to venture outside their norm, I think you just might enjoy Miss Tami's Cottage Expressions and Tea Room as much as I did.  Here is their website, 


and I would recommend the "Blue Cheese Surprise, Vegi (half on whole wheat, with pasta salad), and the Spicy Mint Herbal Tea." (This would be an ideal meal for two).  

If you are willing to drive a few extra miles past Subway, I promise you won't be disappointed. Our waitress was helpful, kind, and knew exactly when to check-up on my mother and I.  Relax for an hour, support local restaurants, and thank Miss Tami on your way out!


No comments:

Post a Comment