Wednesday, July 8, 2009

One-Hundred Percent Cheek-to-Cheek Smile

You know that moving-away roller-coaster I was riding? It hasn't come to a screeching halt, but it has slowed down...that is a good thing. I can officially say, I made the right decision taking off to Denver without knowing a single soul, without having a job lined up, and without doubting any of it would pan out. After an alarming transmission light signaled my frustration, I retraced my steps back to Boise asking, "Why now?"

"Why?" Because as I like to say (purely beneficial to my optimism), "That is life!" Life throws you red lights, transmission letdowns, road trips unaccompanied by AC, and one blasting cd player solely dedicated to raising your pipes. So with my first hurdle knocked down, I was ready to continue driving. I drove to Utah to pick up my pops and my bedroom set (this story comes later), anxiously awaiting until the morning when we both would rise early, fasten our seat belts, and say "Denver, here we come!"

Without knowing a soul and without having a job, I also didn't have a confirmed place to live. No worries, I came across this site, roommates.com and found hope! So arriving late Sunday night, I received directions to a potential place to call home, and realized there was no need to look any further, meet anyone else, or even bother with property management (wannabe car salesman) sleezies. So my pops and I wandered around the city trying to establish/test our geography skills, found a hotel and called it night.

Let's just say Monday was a blur..from getting lost, find a potential place of employment, grabbing a bite to eat, and understanding my hours with "my family" were dwindling, I went into shock...Mmmm Hmm..me the adventurous, get out of my sight, let me be, kinda girl was in shock (to the point where tears began rolling, shhh). I guess it hit me as I was driving to the airport that this was it, the moment had arrived, and here I was uncertain about it all.

Well that feeling didn't last too long, after my dad looked in me the eye and said, "Sweets, here you are. This is your home. Have fun, make mistakes, but most of all, enjoy every minute!" So what did I do, I wiped my tears, cleared my throat, and replied, "You are damn right!"

So here it is, almost a week and it feels like life is still placed on hold, but different than the normal time-out type of hold. I feel like I'm holding off on a potential employer, frequenting the same park, and not sure where to meet people.

I've always thought I had an easy time talking/meeting people, but I never realized being out of your element, you have to work at finding these meeting spots. I'm not looking for a bar or meet and greet type situation, but just a generic, "Hey you seem fun, what are you doing tomorrow?"

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them. I'm nothing but ears!

oOOo Random, while venturing the city, I slipped on a trusty ol' pair of flip-flops mixed with a 90+ degree temp. and received these bad boys...

No comments:

Post a Comment