Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pages Galore.



Mmmm K, so I often go through spurts of making, having, and simply wishing I had more time. Yup, sounds like another excuse, but it's not, I promise. It's just the life we all live, the reality of wanting more, and the willingness to set aside our other "to do's" and enjoying the comfort of bound pages in between our hands.

Last night, I finished one of the most beautiful books I have come across in a long time. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalded Hosseini describes the life, dreams, and tears for two young Afghan women brought together through marriage. Hosseini's style of writing is unlike any other, he includes the most vivid descriptions, personal accounts, and insight into what Mariam and Laila endured during a civil war, numerous deaths, the physical and mental abuse from their husband, the role of being a mother, the role of missing their mothers, and the strength to carry on.

After finishing a book like A Thousand Splendid Suns, I'm usually craving a story with less emotion. I stumbled upon the perfect aisle at Barnes & Noble today..."Diets." Less emotion, not exactly. Food has always triggered my moods/senses. I wake up and smile thinking about oatmeal. Mid-afternoon, my mouth waters for a tuna sandwich. 3:00 pm, sign me up for a snack-pack. Get the gist... Okay, so back to this aisle. I came across Naturally Thin, by Bethenny Frankel, whom is widely known for her role on Bravo's The Real Housewives of New York City, her own BethennyBakes line of baked goods, and her monthly column for Health magazine. I spotted Bethenny's figure, the book's pink glistening title, and of course the enticing description, "Unleash Your Skinnygirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting." Where can I sign up?

While I started this post to discuss the fact that I have fourteen books on my floor waiting to be consumed, I am now setting aside their heartbreaks and triumphs for an easy-breezy read focused on not focusing on dieting. Updates will be posted shortly, assuming I stray far from the pantry.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear about the book about dieting. I'm trying to get myself together for the summer and need motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems books on dieting don't work for me. They always make me hungry haha.

    ReplyDelete